Monday, January 26, 2009

Roosevelt


I just started The River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey by Candice Millard. It's about Roosevelt's descent of a remote tributary of the Amazon in the aftermath of his failed presidential campaign (which would have been his 3rd term if successful). While stumping in Milwaukee, Wisconsin two weeks prior to the election, he was shot, on stage, by some crazy who thought Roosevelt was trying to establish himself as a monarch in America. The bullet, which was slowed by his heavy coat, his speech (folded in half), and his glasses case, still plunged five inches into his chest. He insisted in delivering the speech as planned in his blood-stained shirt with the bullet in his chest before seeing doctors.

You can't make this stuff up. If I get a little headache I need to lay down. The next time I'm thinking about bailing on a session because it's too cold or too early or whatever bullshit pops into my head, I'm going to think about Roosevelt stumping with a bullet in his chest.

No comments: